Capt. Bob Lewis Kids Classic Rules & Regulations (subject to change)
1. Event Location: All events for the “Kids Fishing Classic” will take place at Shake-A-Leg Miami located @ 2620 Bayshore Dr Coconut Grove, Fl 33133.
2. Kick Off/Angler’s Party: We will have the kickoff party from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Angler bags, t-shirts, catch cards, and goodies will be given out to each participant. We will briefly go over the rules and answer any questions. All participants will receive a complimentary dinner.
3. Fishing Day: Saturday is the day of the fishing competition.
4. Official Fishing Time: The official fishing time will be from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
5. Applicable Rules and Laws: I.G.F.A. rules shall apply to all anglers participating in the “Kids Fishing Classic”. All participants must comply with all applicable Federal and Florida laws regarding fishing licenses, size limits, bag limits, and must obey all maritime laws. Any infractions will deem the angler disqualified.
6. Bait and Tackle: There are no rules as to restrictions on bait. Chumming is allowed in this tournament. The purpose of the tournament is for kids to catch fish! The CBLBC would prefer the use of circle hooks so as to minimize the injuries to fish being released.
7. Divisions: The “Kids Fishing Classic” has seven divisions. You will be fishing in the division you signed up for. Friday @ 8:00 PM will be the cut off time to make any changes. The divisions are as follows:
Private Boat Offshore: Participant will be fishing on a privately owned boat without the aid of any professional captain or crew.
Pro Kid Offshore: The participant will be fishing on a boat that is chartered or will be paying a captain or crew to fish aboard a vessel they provide. In essence, any angler that is compensating a person, in any way, to help them win will fit in this division.
Drift Boat Offshore: This division will be compromised of those anglers fishing aboard a drift boat. A drift boat (party boat or head boat) is a professional vessel that can carry more than 10 anglers. All drift boats must register with the CBLBC. The Reward is participating in the tournament, thanks to Capt. Wayne Conn.
Inshore: The anglers in this division may fish in any South Florida waters and target the species identified for this division. See “Eligible Species”.
From Shore: All anglers fishing in this division must have their feet on the ground. Wading is permitted. The use of any flotation device is prohibited.
Freshwater: Any participant that will be fishing in fresh or brackish water will be in this division. Only freshwater species will count. See “Eligible Species”.
Special Needs: We at the CBLBC believe that no child shall be left behind. We not only encourage but assist any angler so they may participate. We will be serving any of those in need from the facility at Shake--A--Leg Miami. We will provide boat rides, fishing opportunity, and assistance to any that would like to participate.
8. Age Groups: The CBLBC has established three age groups for this tournament. These age groups apply for every division! Only children that fit in the age groups will be competing against each other. The appropriate age group of the child will be determined by their age as of the date of the kick off/angler’s party.
Minnow: 6 years old and under
Small Fry: 7 years old thru 10 years old
Junior: 11 years old thru 16 years old
9. Eligible Species: Each division has a list of eligible species including points for release and points per pound if weighed in. Only 5 fish of each species may be entered by a registered angler. Any mutilated fish will be disqualified. We want to encourage the safe release of the fish caught but also want to have edible fish brought in to weigh. Please look closely at the point system as some smaller edible fish may be worth more points if released. Please see attached sheet with eligible species for each division and scoring.
10. Anglers and Lines: Only registered anglers may fish in this tournament. It is an angler tournament not a boat or team tournament. Anglers may fish as many lines as capable as long as they follow all the I.G.F.A. rules.
11. Hooking and Fighting Fish: As per the I.G.F.A. rules, all fish entered in the “Kids Fishing Classic” must be hooked and caught by a single registered angle only. In no way is another person to hook or assist in hooking a fish and then passing the rod. A fish shall be considered “hooked” at the time the fish eats the bait and ensues his initial run whether or not the reel is engaged or in free spool. In no way, shape, or form shall any other person touch the rod in order to aid the registered angler during the fight.
12. Bait Fishing: Fishing for bait will be allowed at any time before and during the tournament. Any fish caught before or after the official fishing time stipulated in rule 4 will not count in this tournament.
13. Catch Cards: Every participant will be provided with a catch card to record their catch. The catch card must be completely filled out and signed by the parent or guardian that witnessed the catch. Make sure you write clearly and legibly. All catch cards must be turned in @ Shake-A-Leg Miami no later than 3:00 PM on Saturday April 26, 2014. Any one arriving after that will be disqualified. Catch cards may be brought in by boat, car, or any means of transportation.
14. Weigh In: The weigh station will be open at 1:00 PM and will remain open until 3:00 PM the day of the tournament. It will promptly close at 3:00 PM and any fish not in line to be weighed in at this time will not count. As you pull in to the station you will be given a ticket to demonstrate you were present prior to the 3:00 PM cutoff. Fish may be brought in by boat, car, or any means of transportation.
15. Territorial Limits: Any body of water in South Florida
16. Radio Channel: The “Kids Fishing Classic” will monitor VHF channel 82
17. Weather: The CBLBC may cancel the tournament if, in their best judgment, unsafe conditions exist for the average boat entered. No refunds of any sort will be made. A determination by CBLBC officials should not be interpreted to mean that the CBLBC ensures the safety of any registered angler or occupant of any boat. Registered anglers must use their own judgment whether to fish under the prevailing weather conditions. We have provided a vast list of eligible species so as to eliminate the risk of “having” to suffer in order to catch fish. Remember this tournament is for the children to have fun and a “GOOD” memorable experience.
18. Protest: Any registered participant or their guardian may protest any alleged violation of these rules. Protest must be received in writing prior to 3:00 PM Saturday May 23, 2015. A protest fee of $50.00 must be accompanied with the written protest. All protests will be reviewed by the CBLBC rules committee who will make a determination. The determination made by the CBLBC rules committee shall be final.
19. Pictures: The CBLBC will be taking pictures of all participants during the event. All pictures will be the property of the CBLBC. All participants agree and consent that the CBLBC may use any photograph in which he or she appear for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to resale, advertising, commercial or promotional material without compensation or restriction of any kind.
20. Hold Harmless: All registered anglers, non--registered participants, or non--registered occupants that participate in the “Kids Fishing Challenge” do so voluntarily and at their own risk. In consideration for the CBLBC’c acceptance of his or her entry, each registered angler or participant, heirs, executors, and administrators agree to release, hold harmless, and indemnify the CBLBC, its officers, managers, directors, agents, volunteers, sponsors, donors, the city and county where it’s held, the facility where the event is held, and all other persons connected directly or indirectly with the tournament, from and against any and all liabilities, claims, actions, damages, costs, fees, or expenses he or she may have against above described party.